A third contender
If a settlement did once exist here, there are no remains of it now. None of the buildings in this part of West Street are of any significant age, unlike some in the High Street so it can only be assumed Sittingbourne Parva did not develop beyond the time of Schamel’s demise. Any archaeological traces of Schamel would have been destroyed when Mr Cremer opened his brickfield on the corner of Ufton Lane and West Street in the late nineteenth century, and further by the construction in 1894 of a private residence called Schamel, the home of solicitor, Mr Gibson. The house later became a convent and boarding school for young ladies, called the Nativity School of the Convent. After its demolition the site became a small housing estate whose road names reflect its earlier usage.
Schamel has long been said to be a corruption of the name of one of its earliest priests, Samuel, but despite this, Alan Abbey has an interesting alternative hypothesis. He is more and more convinced that this was a Templars site that reverted to the Crown when that institution was outlawed. The site was most probably a hospital for Templars and their officials when travelling. Once they were gone the land was then bolted on to Sittingbourne and he thinks that the very odd boundaries go a long way to proving this. It was a large site that was almost a self-contained village. St Michaels was very powerful and had it brought under its wing where it became known as little Sittingbourne. It has to be later for that to have happened.